Simon Ward (Co Louth) Winner 2013
South of Ireland Amateur Open Championship 2013
at Lahinch Golf Club 27th/31st July
Sponsored by Clare Coast Hotels
Any queries please contact
Golfing Union of Ireland (Munster Branch)
6 Townview, Mallow, Co Cork
E-mail email@example.com Tel. (022) 21026
South of Ireland 2013 DRAW CLICK HERE
Contact 022-21026 Outside office hours contact (087)3132942 with cancellations
Update on reseves below
1 Bob Loftus Lahinch to M7 instead of G Dunne (Co Louth) (G Dunne goes to Sunday M12 instead of B Robinson)
2 Mike Kemmy Limerick to M15 instead of B McGarry. (B McGarry to Sunday M50 instead of S O'Hara)
3 Liam Harnett Milltown To M7 instead of S Watts
4 David O'Driscoll Ballybunion to M32 instead of R Purcell
5 Fionntan Lawlor Titirangi to M57 instead of K Nolan
6 Richard Walsh Kilkenny to M63 instead of M Morrissey (M Morrissey to Sunday M26 instead of M Collins)
7 Paul Burke Mullingar To M51 instead of D Fitzgerald
8 Ryan O'Dwyer Callan to M24 instead of C O'Sullivan
9 Sean O'Connor Carton House/NUIM to M27 instead of J Richardson
10 Michael Horan Birr To M34 instead of C Cunningham (C Cunningham to Sunday M25 instead of A Thomas)
11 Liam Grehan Mullingar withdrawn
12 Andrew Fitzgerald Ring Of Kerry withdrawn
13 Jason O'Donnell Shannon To M20 instead of R Mullarney
14 John Hickey Cork To M27 instead of S O'Connor (originally J Richardson, S O'Connor reserve 9 withdrawing)
15 Colum Kenny Curragh To M50 instead of N Morrisson
16 Pat Fitzpatrick Kanturk
17 Paul Behan St. Anne's
18 Tristan O'Rourke Nenagh
19 Eoghan O'Donnell Tralee
20 Frank Flynn Laytown & Bettystown
21 Gary Shaw Mullingar
22 Tommy Malone Co. Cavan
23 Mark Reynolds Dromoland
24 Graham Nugent Kilkenny
Lahinch is an historic club that always serves up a feast of glorious golf each summer in the incomparable “South”.
On Good Friday, the 15th of April 1892, the first game of golf was played in Lahinch!
Over 116 years later, the famous links on the mid-western seaboard is now amongst the best in the world. Consistently ranked in the top 100 lists of the world’s best courses, this Alistair Mackenzie classic has become a golfing Mecca for visitors from abroad.
1. Entries must be made on-line through GUI website www.gui.ie/munster
2. The penalty for breach of Rule 1 shall be disqualification.
3. The entrance fee payable shall be as decided from time to time by the Championship Committee.
4. The Championship Committee, which shall consist of Officials appointed by the Munster Provincial Council of the Golfing Union of Ireland and Officials appointed by Lahinch Golf Club, shall be responsible for the organisation and management of the Championship and its decision shall be final on all matters relating thereto including acceptance of entries. Only a member of the Championship Committee or a person appointed by such Committee will be authorised to give a decision on any question or dispute arising during the course of play.
5. The Championship will be played on the Links of Lahinch Golf Club in accordance with the Rules of Golf as approved by the R & A and in accordance with the Local Rules of Lahinch Golf Club as approved by the Championship Committee.
6. Entries will be limited to 192 competitors. In the event of applications exceeding this number, entry for the higher handicap competitors will be decided by ballot. The ballot will take place immediately after the closing date. Unsuccessful applicants will be informed forthwith but given an opportunity to compete if scratchings or withdrawals occur. These stand-by reserves will be selected in strict order of exact handicap as per entry form and not from any adjustment subsequently notified. The number of such stand-by reserves shall not exceed twenty four (24) and will be called upon to take the place of competitors in the first round only of the Championship in the strict order of stand-by draw where necessary. Entrance fees will be refunded to those who are not successful in the ballot and if intimation of scratching is received before closing date.
7. The Championship Committee may invite up to 4 players who hold a handicap as of July 1st in the year of the Championship which is within 1.0 stroke of the qualifying handicap for the Championship in the previous year. Should these be international players, verification of handicap to be provided by the player’s home club under the rules of their governing body (Invitees may include promising young players from Ireland or overseas, players who have distinguished themselves in golf or worthy overseas players who would enhance the event).
8. A competitor must have submitted a minimum of eight qualifying returns during the twelve months prior to the closing date of entry into the Championship. Submission of returns from the USA is acceptable upon receipt of handicap record showing same. Competitors whose home club is outside Ireland must advise any change of handicap between date of entry and closing date with relevant certification.
9. All previous winners of this Championship or former Walker Cup players who enter shall have a place reserved for them so long as they meet the 8-card rule and hold a handicap as of July 1st in the year of the Championship which is within 1.0 stroke of the qualifying handicap for the Championship in the previous year.
10. Format of play - match play over 5 days of the Championship. The 64 lowest handicap competitors shall each receive a bye into the second round. A ballot to ascertain the 64 to obtain a bye shall be held, if necessary. On the first day of the Championship the remaining 128 or less competitors shall play in the first round and the draw shall be made to provide that each winner of a first round match shall play against a competitor who received a first round bye. On the second day, 64 pairs shall play off. On the third day, 32 pairs shall play off in the morning and 16 pairs shall play in the afternoon. On the fourth day eight pairs shall play in the morning and the quarter-finals shall be played in the afternoon. On the fifth day the semi-finals shall be played in the morning and the final in the afternoon.
Note: In the event of any players from the 64 players who received a first round bye, withdrawing, the 65th seeded player will take the vacant position in the second round. This player will be replaced by the first person on the stand-by list. The process will be repeated for additional withdrawals. The process will terminate at 4.30pm on the Friday.
11. Each match shall consist of one round of 18 holes. In the event of a halved match, the competitors shall continue to play until one or other shall have gained a hole.
12. Competitors are requested to register at the Host Club – Lahinch – immediately on arrival. Official practice times will be those as determined by the Championship Committee, notice of which will be displayed on the Club’s notice board and website.
13. A general pace of play condition will be implemented whereby 60 seconds will be the time allotted for addressing and hitting the ball once it is the player’s turn to play. Following two warnings of breach of rule, the penalty will be 2 strokes in stroke play or loss of hole in match play.
14. The Winner of the Championship will be the South of Ireland Amateur Open Champion Golfer for the year.
15. The Championship Trophy (presented by Lahinch Golf Club) will be awarded to the Winner. The Winner shall also receive a medal and prizes will be awarded to the runner-up, the defeated semi-finalists and defeated quarter finalists. The Championship Trophy will be held until the commencement of the Championship in the following year by the club from which the Winner shall have entered but in the event of the Winner being a member of the Irish Artisan Golfers’ Association the Trophy will be held by the club to which his Section is attached or in the event of the Winner being entered from a country outside Ireland the Trophy will be held by Lahinch Golf Club.
16. This Championship is one of the Tournaments for which points in the “Willie Gill Award” will be awarded for Irish competitors.
17. If a competitor fails to show at the tee without notification, entry may be refused the following year at the discretion of the Championship Committee.
N.B. Closing Date 5.00pm 12th July 2013